Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Letter to 16 year old me

One of my favorite bloggers littlemissmomma recently posted a list of blog ideas and this was one!

Dear 16 year old Sami,

There is so much that I wish I could tell you, but the truth is you would be too stubborn to listen to me even if you could.

Right now you are lost in a world of friends, boyfriends, and high school drama.
You try your hardest to be kind to everyone you meet (and you usually do a pretty good job)
You find yourself being sucked in to the world of art and music.
Let yourself get lost in it, it will save you from times that will be rough beyond words.

You have a zest for life and love for making people happy.
That hasn't changed.
You dream of having a family.
That hasn't changed.

You will be thrown some tough cards and dealt things that someone your age shouldn't have to deal with.
Don't worry, you will be okay.

You will finish school and finally leave the walls of Kelloggsville High School.
You will go to Grand Valley State University.
I know, that isn't your dream.
I know you will repeat over and over that you are getting out of Grand Rapids.
The truth is, you will be given the chance to move away to your dream school.
Will you do it though? No.

I wish I could tell you why you made that decision, but even today I can't answer that. Maybe it was fate intervening?
What I can tell you though, is that you will move into a dorm and think the R.A. is adorable.

A few years later, that same R.A. will ask you to marry him. Your life as a young adult is crazy. You are constantly busy, have the greatest friends, and are even coaching a cheerleading team.

So, my advice to you:
Make good decisions, you will be tempted.
Keep your heart open.
Stop worrying and have more faith.
Don't give up on people.
Keep smiling.

Love,
22 year old Sami


What advice would you give your 16 year old self?

No comments:

Post a Comment